Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Crunchy Wife in the Kitchen: Caprese Sandwich Rounds

I had one lone heirloom tomato left from last week's trip to the farmer's market.  Given my husband doesn't like tomatoes unless they are ground up beyond recognition (how dare he!), I decided to be a little selfish and use it all for a meal all by my lonesome.  It worked out pretty well since he had to work late and I was going to have to make him something much later than I was willing to wait.

So what's a girl to do with a fresh tomato that is begging not to be thrown absent-mindedly into a salad or cooked until all the deliciousness is just a memory?  While browsing the fridge for compliment ingredients, I spotted the most delightful sight.  Luckily, I had picked up some fresh mozzarella from the grocery store on clearance.  I paid only $2.49 for 4 "bite-size" balls of mozzarella that could only be considered bite sized if you had a mouth the size of Joy Behar's (sorry Joy, your enormous smile is quite beautiful, if that makes you feel any better).  First dish that popped into my head?? Caprese!  Especially since I am the proud owner of a couple of large basil plants (which my husband said I would never use, by the way), I deemed it necessary that I hop on the caprese band wagon.

But I wasn't in a salad sort of mood.  I also needed a little more sustenance than what some cheese, basil, and tomato could do me.  That's when I saw them.....the whole wheat English muffins.  I can work with that.

So here's what I did, and although it's not entirely original, it was entirely delicious, and I ate it all.  Two entire open-faced sandwiches worth.  In my defense, I don't normally gorge like this... except perhaps during a certain moon, which was shining brightly that night.

Caprese Sandwich Rounds

2 whole wheat English muffins, split
1 large tomato, sliced into at least 4 thick slices  (preferably of the homegrown heirloom variety) 
2 bocconcini mozzarella balls, sliced in 1/4 in slices
Leaves from 2 sprigs fresh basil
1 tbsp olive oil
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste

Toast the English muffins in the toaster oven to your desired crispness.  When done, promptly remove from oven and top each muffin half with a couple of slices of mozzarella and a few leaves of basil.  Layer on a slice of tomato.  Top with a couple more slices of mozzarella and leaves of basil.  After all sandwich halves have been constructed, drizzle with olive oil and grind on desired amount of salt and pepper.  Immediately enjoy.

  

Easy and effective.  And did I mention delicious?  Since I stocked up, I have several more bocconcini mozzarella balls to use.  My mouth can't wait.

Let me know what you think.  Do any of you have a go-to recipe you crave occasionally?  If so, share it in the comments below, and I may even write a blog your favorite recipe in the future!  Green Appetit!





No comments:

Post a Comment